Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lost and ... Found!


Yesterday morning I awoke to the drumming of pouring rain.
I love the sound.
 I had planned on doing some gardening and I wasn't about to change my plans.
So, in the still early hours of morning I headed outside.

The Lavender needed trimming back.
So with cutters in hand I began to take away the spent blooms.
As the old was cut away to make way for the New I saw something sparkling.
As I bent even farther down to take a closer look I was delighted to see that hidden amid all the foliage were my long lost reading glasses.
I usually hang them off the front of my top.
They must have fallen off when I leaned over to smell the gorgeous fragrance of the blooms!

And so began my meditation for the day.

One of my favourite things to do is to take moments like this,
 and to see them with a Biblical perspective.
God's perspective,
 on the subject of lost and found.

Finding my reading glasses had me meditating upon Luke 15 most of the day.
In this passage Jesus tells the parable of the lost sheep,
the lost coin,
 the lost son.
We know him as the prodigal.

Lost sheep need a shepherd.
Lost coins have value.
Lost sons are in need of fellowship with their Father.

You cannot read through these parables without noticing how many times the words "joy", "rejoice" and "celebrate" are mentioned.
And always by the One Who has found,
that which is lost.

v6. "Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!"
v. "Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost!"
v.32 ..."we had to celebrate and rejoice, for this brother of yours was dead and has begun to live, and was lost and has been found."

Finding my reading glasses amid the spent blooms,
put a song in my heart.
One of thanksgiving.
One of pure wonder.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me... 
I once was lost, but now am found, 
was blind, but now I see!
                                                                     John Newton (1725-1807)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin