Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Welcome to Hope!


At my dental appointment yesterday I noticed posters and pamphlets promoting the wonders of Botox injections which are now available and given by my dentist, upon request.  As I asked around it quickly became apparent that every one of the girl's in the office had had it done and were regaling it's benefits.  The receptionist told me that, "Women have been hoping for years for something like this and now here it is and it's readily available and affordable for everyone!"

Later, my dentist and I were having a general discussion regarding the world in general and the difficulty facing young people in trying to navigate their way through life, and all the information thrown at them from every possible direction.  My dentist is a Christian woman and understood when I said what a comfort and assurance we have in Jesus, Who is our wisdom and our discernment and how living out our faith before others points them to Jesus as well.  I cannot remember how it came about, but as she was leaving to attend to another patient, my parting words to her were, "We live in Beautiful Hope".

A few moments later I found myself sitting up, while my mouth was being meticulously filled, by the hygienist, with trays of pink goop that I was told would turn magically white and solidify within mere minutes if I did not move.  While this procedure was being carried out she was chattering on about what a long trip I had taken to come to the dental office that morning....what?  Was I going to be spending time in town for a few days before heading home?...What?  Was there not a dentist in Hope that I felt comfortable with?  Again...What?  She chattered on about having once driven through Hope and though lovely, she would not want to live there... wha?...got it!

My brows furrowed and I gently shook my head to show her that she had misinterpreted what she had overheard me say.  Misunderstanding the universal language of a non-botoxed forehead furrowed in expression, she nodded while saying that because I lived in Hope and that it was my hometown, of course I was partial to it just as she is to the lower mainland.  Get this goop out of my mouth!

After she had removed the trays and as I quickly wiped my mouth, I was able to explain to her that I do not live in Hope the place, but rather I live in HOPE The Person... and right there and then that hygienist was pointed to Jesus.  I have another appointment next week and she has requested that she be scheduled as my hygienist that day.

Welcome to Hope!

2 comments:

BabaLinda said...

Hilarious.

Margaret said...

Right on Cathie!!
I would have loved to be a fly on
the wall!!
So great to share your faith, just shows how hungry people are for the truth.
Way to go!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin