Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's All in How you See it...


My husband loves my mind.
Don't know what that says about the rest of me,
but apparently, he thinks I have a fabulous mind.

Quick, smart, funny...

However,
some things just seem to go right over my head.
Some things.

For instance,
while on the Indiana Jones ride in California,
we were taken into a very damp, dark and creepy underground tunnel.
Looking up,
 I saw something scampering across the dripping, slimy roots that were dangling across the tunnel roof. 
"Oh! Look!", I exclaimed, "squirrels!"
Amanda's reply?  
"They're RATS, Cathie."

I also don't clue in to written messages on T-Shirts,
or on baseball hats either... just ask my kids.
Goes right over my head.

So, in keeping with this train of thought,
(or lack of it)
while out shopping the other day I saw an animal-print scarf that I liked.
It was just what I was looking for.
Plus,
the little chrysanthemums 
(or were they roses?) 
that were scattered throughout the pattern was a bonus.
Sale made.

That evening,
as I showed Amanda my purchase,
she became quiet, took a bit of a deeper breath and said,
"Cathie, you realize those are SKULLS, don't you?"
Busted.


I've thought long and hard about this.
Well, 
maybe not so-o long, 
and maybe not so-o hard.

However, I've decided that I am going to wear that scarf.
I mean, what's so bad about a skull anyway?
We've all got one,
and don't pretend you don't,
you do.

Skulls are usually associated with death.
Death makes most people uncomfortable.
I get it.

Ecclesiastes 7:2 tells us that it is "better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting" because death is the end of every man, 
and the living are to take it to heart.
Being confronted with death makes a person think.

Good Friday is almost upon us.
There are some that are wondering, "what's so good about it?"
There are some that would answer, "A day off work!"
Then there are those who know.
Those who are to be ready with The Answer.
Those who, through the cross of Christ, can face death and declare...

"O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" 
1 Corinthians 15:55

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes Him Who sent me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgement, but has passed out of death into life.  
John 5:24


I was just thinking,
I wouldn't put it past me to be humming a chorus or two of "Dem Bones",
whenever I wear this scarf...

Ezekiel cried, "Dem dry bones!"
Ezekiel cried, "Dem dry bones!"
Ezekiel cried, "Dem dry bones!"
"Oh, hear the Word of the Lord!"

2 comments:

Edna H said...

hahahaha...your scarf story made me chuckle (as you can see). Same thing happened to my daughter. She gor herself a pair of cool sunglasses with a nice embellishment on the sides. She wore them for quite awhile. Finally her friend said to her.."Lana, you do realize those are skulls" yep they sure are.
She put her bones to rest. I think they are still in the glove compartment of our car!!!!

Cathie said...

Funny! Perhaps it's a good thing that I don't like shopping... any more time spent in the store and I may have come away with an entire matching ensemble! Yeesh!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin