Saturday, March 28, 2009

Beyond Precious Reason



I had so much fun the other day and I had an unexpected blessing just to make it all that much more enjoyable!

One of my favorite things to do (every so often), is to go through Antique and Secondhand Shops, on this particular day, after I had run all my errands for the morning, I included a few little side trips to all those little places that I like to frequent (every so often), just to check out what was there.

I did find a few items that I ended up purchasing...an old fashioned china ladies button-up boot to place in my sewing room; a lovely paper textured box with a cream coloured ribbon closure which included a surprise inside of a cream coloured photo album with soft green memory inserts; also a candle box with a cranberry ribbon closure (listen, if there is ever a ribbon on a thing, it definitely has my attention!).

As I began to make my way homeward, my thoughts went back to a tin wall flower hanger that I had seen in the Antique Shop. I had decided not to purchase it at first, but now I was having second thoughts...maybe I had been too hasty and should have picked it up after all. I was just about to get to the intersection and had to make my mind up fast whether to turn back or not...so I prayed, "Lord, am I supposed to go back there and get that thing?". The pull got stronger, I took that (in this particular instance) as a yes. Surely this is what I was supposed to do, I could even see my summer cut lavender drying quite nicely in the container, so-o-o, I made a right turn at the light and back to the Antique Shop I went.

As I was getting out of the car, I was thinking that since I was so close to where my eldest son worked that perhaps I should just walk over and pop in for a minute to say hi, but decided against it just in case I embarrassed him by being...well, you know...motherly, (plus I could hear his voice in my head telling me to not come in and embarrass him by being...well, you know...motherly). So, with great restraint, I instead entered the Antique Shop and made a beeline to the shelf where I had last seen the flower container, and there it was, just sitting there, waiting for me. So I picked it up, took it to the counter and made my purchase. As I was putting my change back in my purse I happened to glance to my left, and there they were, my unexpected surprise and blessing...my daughter-in-law and my sweet little baby granddaughter! Instant, profound joy!

Anyway, (and this just cracks me up), it ends up that they were heading over to "daddy's work" to say hi to him on his lunch hour...would I like to come with them? Are you kidding me? This little side trip to pick up this little lavender container wasn't about the purchase at all...the Lord had known all the time that I had needed to see my "kids" and had worked it all out. Just a few seconds delay, just a few seconds in haste and we would have missed each other, but God had a different plan.

So, don't you know that I pushed that little baby, in that little stroller over to my son's work as proud and confident as any Grand Mom could be...and yes, motherly me hugged and made a fuss and everyone has lived to tell the tale.

And don't you just also know, that when that little tin flower container is full of drying lavender this summer and hanging upon the wall, that every time I pass it I will be thinking of how God continues to bless me...beyond precious reason!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin