Sunday, September 27, 2009

Monday Musings of Serendipity


ser⋅en⋅dip⋅i⋅ty

[ser-uhn-dip-i-tee]

a seeming gift or aptitude for finding good things, or for making desirable discoveries accidentally.

I have always enjoyed words. It saddens me that the beauty and expansiveness of our language is beginning to deteriorate into LOL and Yep.

Of course, that is a broad generalization, however, on the whole I find an absence of lively conversation flavoured with rich and expressive words. Perhaps that is why our conversations do not go very deep... the absence of expression.

I also like to think about words and enjoy the feel of them on my tongue. Serendipity is one. The sound of it just appealed to me even at a very young age, I likened it to 'Supercalafragilisticexpialadotious'. It just sounded like a happy word; fun and full of bright color and with an element of mystery and adventure to it, piquing my curiosity... it made me want to jump into that word and experience what it was all about!

I came across 'Serendipity' again just recently. And just the seeing of it made me happy... I mean really, how often do you hear this word in our everyday conversation? I felt as if I had suddenly heard the name of a dear friend. I wanted to spend a little time thinking about and talking about... Serendipity.

Because Serendipity is a gift or aptitude for finding Good Things, I can equate the coming of Serendipity truly into my life when I recieved Christ. It is amazing the Good Things that I have found even in the most excruciating of times, in the hardships of life. The gift of Serendipity made sure that the Good Things did not pass by me unnoticed or unappreciated.

As Christians we are fond of saying that nothing is by accident as the definition of accident is 'an unintended happening'. However, we can speak about Serendipity.

We know from Psalm 139 and from God's perspective that every day ordained for us has been written in His Book before there was ever even one of them. God has already written our days, however, the enjoyment of Serendipity is from our perspective when we are about one thing and end up making a desirable discovery quite by accident (an unintended happening) from our perspective. "Well, for heaven's sake, Lord I wasn't even looking for this! I love it! Thank You!" We know from Whence the happening came... it is just that we ourselves did not intend it when we awoke that particular morning!

Just because we use the word Serendipity takes nothing away from knowing the One Who provides it.
Taking my lesson from my readings about Beethoven.
I appreciate Serendipity... and so I can hear and see Serendipity.
God Himself has given us Serendipity... I am going to enjoy it!


Serendipity: a seeming gift or aptitude for finding good things, or for making desirable discoveries accidentally.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin