Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Walk Around the Garden


I just came in a few moments ago from an afternoon walk around the garden. Through the kitchen window, the heather had been beaming at me all morning as it tucked itself up close to the Forsythia and my garden clogs were waiting impatiently at the kitchen door, warm from the morning sun and inviting me to slip my feet into them...and so I did.

As I entered into the backyard, I was looking over the Hydrangea that I had cleaned up yesterday afternoon, and was pleased to notice that the warmth of the sun had already encouraged more growth, with the promise of abundant blooms yet to come.

And what a surprise I had when I looked down and was greeted by an abundance of little pink flowers! They had just begun to "show" themselves the day before, but today they were definitely "showin' off"! This particular plant had been given to me by my mother-in-law when they had moved homes a few years ago. It has deep green and burgundy elephant-ear foliage and then these lovely little pink flowers.

As I made my way towards the heather, I passed by the rhododendron and the new green growth of the day lilies. The lilac is full of buds and even the lavender is beginning to fill out. It is at this time of the year that I have to be most careful in the garden because half the time I forget what I planted and divided the Fall before, most of them still hiding themselves under the earth. Too many times, in my Spring enthusiasm, I have dug up and tramped over new growing plants, so I tend to literally "tip-toe through the tulips" as I check out the action in the garden.

My Auntie Annie's red roses are showing good promise. After she had passed away, I had taken three cuttings from her favorite rose bush, stuck them in the ground, prayed for a successful harvest and then watched as one by one the plantings perished...all except one. And last year, that one was vigorous to say the least! But I still kind of hesitantly approach it every Spring, kind of edging my way up to it, not knowing what I might be met with after a long and cold winter. Yesterday, my new little granddaughter had her first "walk around the garden" with her new grandmother (me), and I showed her Auntie Annie's rose bush, I think Auntie Annie would be pleased.

As I finally approached the heather I just stopped and drank in the colour of it...after a Winter of greys there is nothing like the deep color of heather - soon the forsythia will be a bright yellow next to it and the two together are one of my favorite combinations of Spring. I came prepared with scissors and began to snip away at little sprigs here and there, I don't think it minds, I can even go so far as to say that perhaps it takes pleasure in spreading its Beauty around.

Once inside, as I wrapped a little ribbon around the stems and secured it with a pearl pin, I began to think about my study in John 15 this past week, where Jesus describes Himself as the True Vine and the Father as the Vinedresser. Jesus said, "My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples." When heather blooms, it proves itself to be heather...but when we bloom, when we "bear fruit", we prove ourselves to be His disciples. It cheers me to know that it is to my Father's glory that I bloom and bear fruit.

So... I was thinking...just like the blooming heather drew me out into the garden for a closer look, wouldn't it be wonderful if I was to bloom in such a way that others are drawn closer to the True Vine and the Vinedresser?...and all to His glory!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin