Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer in the Psalms - Week Seven Gathering Place, PART ONE

Good Morning girls, and welcome to your Gathering Place! A big thank you to those of you who have taken the time and effort to contribute to this posting, and to the spiritual growth of your sisters, with your thoughts and insights of Psalm 91. It is a Psalm that I have returned to over and over again, for many years, and I have thoroughly enjoyed just sitting under the blessing of it this week.

I will be posting my comments tomorrow, but for today, I am going to sit back and let you sisters have a good visit together, discussing all that you have learned and gleaned and been blessed with this week as you have been reading through and meditating upon Psalm 91. So, here are a few of your contributions to get your time in the Comment Cafe rolling... talk to you soon! Cathie


Hi Cathie,

Once again I have fallen in love with a Psalm. To think that I am so protected, loved and guarded is overwhelming to me. I do not know if I can possibly do justice to this Psalm but I will try. I will continue to digest verses 1-13 but I am brought to my knees by verses 14,15 and 16. This is my Heavenly Father speaking and confirming the previous verses. It took me a while to "get it" but when I did, it took my breath away! In verse 14 it says "Because he cleaves to me in love, I will deliver him". I was brought back to the book of John and all that it meant when we "Abide in Him". I am protected because I know His name. It made me think that sometimes his name is so abused and used in ways that grieve Him. To really know His name is a study in itself and I believe it pleases Him when we do. I could fill this page with all the names He is to me. Because I know "His Names" I can have an intimate, personal relationship with Him. He says that He honours me and that is more than my mind can comprehend. Am I right Cathie, that this honour means eternal life with Him? That is what I got from it because verse 16 then says, "with long life I will satisfy him, and show him my salvation". My interpretation was, eternal life with Him and all the joy that will bring. When He showed me His salvation, that meant to me."He gave me His Son". His Son is my Lord and Saviour, who died for me so that I might have all of the above. I have personalized this but the wonderful thing is that it is for EVERYONE who will receive this for themselves. There is so much to say about this Psalm and I am looking forward to learning so much more from you Cathie, as well as all my sisters who are in this "Summer in the Psalms" with me. Are we not having a great time!!!

Love, Angie


Hi Cathie,
Psalm 91, verse 1 reminds me that a shadow is right beside a person, so he who dwells near God will be covered by His shadow,like a bird that spreads its wings to cover & protect its young so God protects those who seek refuge in Him.
Verse 6-8 is a reference to the Angel of the Lord striking down the Assyrians who had come to capture Jerusalem 2: Kings 19:35
This chapter tells of God's wonderful deliverance - how God strikes the Assyrians down and later causes the king Sennacherib's demise.
Verse 11 Satan misquoted this verse to Jesus when He was in the wilderness, he left out "to guard you in all your ways"
Then in vs14-15 God is now speaking. v15 God promises many times in the Bible that those who call on Him He will answer, He will rescue & honor him. Jesus also says this in John 12:26 that if anyone serves Him, His Father will honor them
The Lord will do the work - we will stand and see His victory.
Margaret


Dear Cathie - I wish I had words to describe the blessings I have received from this Psalm. What can I say, except I have experienced the wonderful promises to be true! An encouraging promise to claim in each verse.
Our God is faithful. Blessings - Elizabeth



Hi Cathie, Great idea. Your last journal was such a great idea and so is this. I am sure there are many of us who would love to have it!I just loved this psalm and can hardly wait for tomorrow to see what you have for us. I was a bit puzzled in vs 9 with the word "even" could you explain why it is there? Thanks so much, Debbie

5 comments:

DebbieS said...

Wow Cathie you are really making us think for ourselves and I love the challenge. It was so nice to read Angie and Margaret's comments. It added so much and made my heart feel so warm.God offers me so much for so little. Because I really want to dwell in His shelter and know His name, not just know it but feel it in my heart and love His name, He has offered me the most important thing in the world - His love, protection and security for eternity.Can anyone want more? Once again yesterday I was faced with an unpleasant situation but through all of these studies, I have learned to turn to Him and lean on Him and ask Him to help me and guess what? That is exactly what happened. Every day I can feel His presence- maybe it is because I have such a long journey to take but He is there. So Vs15 really stood out for me yesterday:
He will call upon me, and I will answer him"
Looking forward to seeing everyone's comments this week

Cathie said...

Hi girls! I will be chatting here at the Cafe with you tomorrow, but I just wanted to share this comment with you that Margaret had sent to me....

Hi Cathie,
I just LOVED Angie's comments!! She has such a gift for personalising the Scripture. I tend to analyse the Scripture and although this psalm was written so many years ago God wants us to claim it for ourself those who are abiding under His shadow. You may not want to pass this on but when I read the posts'this morning, this came home to me so clearly.
Love and blessings to you.
Margaret

Angie said...

Margaret you need to know that because of your indepth research [I happen to know who your teacher is] I have been challenged to do more. You have been taught well! I was moved by the line "because he has known MY name". That sent me into some research of my own on His Names. I was very quickly humbled to know that this was not a quick in and out. For myself I plan on writing out as many of "His Names as I can and I know that I will be brought to my knees!

I would like to share one more thing with you and then I will sit down! I purchased a card for a woman who has lost her husband suddenly and wanted the words to comfort her. I found one that had a beautiful poem but it was what was inside that caught my eye...Psalm 91:4. "He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge." My Bible has pinions for the word feather. I looked up pinion and it says, "the outer rear edge of the wing of a bird, containing flight feathers." [primary feathers] The picture of that is so great! We are held TIGHTLY&CLOSE to our Lord and are protected from the front and from the rear! I am with you Debbie, we are on a long journey but you SAID IT..look how much we get!...so looking forward to tomorrow Cathie.

DebbieS said...

Hi Margaret,I was trying to think how to word something to Angie about her lovely write ups and I just couldn't put it in to words but you have said it perfectly. I learn from her and try to personalize what is said but like you I still tend to analyse it too but I must say I enjoy reading yso much to our study.our comments because you also add

DebbieS said...

Oh dear here I go again, trying to do too much in too little time. I just reread my comment to you Margaret and the last bit somehow got all mixed up. I meant to say I enjoy reading your comments too. because they add so much to our study

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin