Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer in the Psalms - Week Six Gathering Place

Hi Girls, and welcome to our Week Six Gathering! Although Psalm 67 may be considered a 'little' one, it has been my prayer that you were able to enjoy the sheer 'bounty' of it all. There is so much to share, however, for our purposes today I'll just keep to a few of my notes from this week's reading and then perhaps in the Comment Cafe we can take it even deeper.

One of the first things that I noticed in this Psalm, upon first reading, was that v.1 seemed quite familiar to me, that's because the words of v.1 have been taken from the words of the priestly blessing found in Numbers 6:24-26. This priestly blessing was given by God to Moses, who in turn, was then to give it to Aaron and to Aaron's sons, so that they would then speak these words of blessing over the sons of Israel; and there was a purpose in it all - God says in Numbers 6:27, "So they (the priests) shall invoke (put) My Name on the sons of Israel, and I then will bless them."

The word 'then' found in that verse is in italics in your Bible, because it was added during translation to give clarity to the meaning, the original Hebrew does not have it. Go ahead and read that verse again, leaving that word out - did you see that? When that priestly blessing was spoken over the sons of Israel - according to God - His Name was was being put upon them...and once that Name was put upon them, God promised, "I WILL bless them."

For those of us who are fresh from our year long study in the book of John, remember with me that in Chapter 17, Jesus, while praying to the Father, said, "I am no longer in the world; yet they themselves (to keep it brief...that's us!) are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your Name, the Name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are. While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your Name which you have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished..."

During the time of Moses, the priestly blessing could only put the Name of God upon God's chosen people, Israel; but, on this side of the cross, God's chosen people do not just have the Name of God put on them... we are now kept in His Name. What does this mean? Well, read v.21,23 - the Father in Jesus, Jesus in the Father (they are One!), and v.23, Jesus in us, the Father in Jesus. I hope that you are taking the time to really get this, you just need to know the reality of where you truly are! Read Colossians 3:3... our life has now been hidden with Christ in God. This just takes my breath away each and every time I think of it. In more ways than one girls, we are Covered... we are Covered!

Now, just one thing more - John 17 has long been known as the High Priestly Prayer of Jesus, and with good reason - turn with me, if you will, to Hebrews 3:5-6 where we see that while "Moses was faithful in all (God's) house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken later; Christ was faithful as a Son over (God's) house - Whose house we are, if we hold fast the confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end." We are 'the house' girls! and Jesus, Who is our Great High Priest (Hebrews 4:14) dwells within us. And our Great High Priest does not just invoke (put) God's Name on us... He is The Blessed Name! and we are with Him, in God!

One thing to keep in mind when reading through the Old Testament - particularly when it comes to the topic of 'blessing' - is that everything that was true of God's chosen people (Israel) physically is true of God's chosen people (believer's) today, spiritually. For instance, their promised land was physically realized - our promised land is spiritually realized. In Psalm 67 there is one reference to the word 'bless' in v.1 and two references to 'blesses' in v.6-7 and here is the thing... being 'blessed' is never an end in itself - the blessing of God upon His people is to have an 'effectual' result upon others.

The prayer of v.1 includes this realization in v.2, that God's blessing and favour is to have the result of His way being made known on the earth, His salvation among all the nations, and the acknowledgement of the reality of the answer to this prayer is found in v.6-7 - that because the earth had yielded its produce (the physical blessing), God had indeed blessed them and all the ends of the earth would see and know it and fear God.

Think about what this means for us today, spiritually. It is not our full bank accounts, and our full cupboards and stomachs and our luxurious homes that causes the world to take notice - many enjoy the same things, maybe more than us! What will make the ends of the earth fear God is what has been done in God's people spiritually - the out workings of which will show the ways of God, His salvation among the nations.

I don't know if you did this, but as I was going through and marking key words throughout Psalm 67, I marked the five references to the word 'Let', each one beginning a statement in v.3 -5. The Psalmist knew that ONLY GOD HIMSELF could cause people to praise Him, could cause the nations to be glad and sing for joy, and he explains why in v.4b - because it is God Who "judges the people with uprightness and the guides the nations on the earth."

Remember how the words at the beginning of this Psalm were actually words taken from Numbers 6:24-26? Well, there is something interesting to be found there, because the reference to God in Numbers is "Yahweh", which carries with it the meaning of God being the Self Existing One, He simply is and always has been. Yet, here in Psalm 67, the word "God" is "Elohim", meaning Judge, Creator. This Psalm is showing God as all sufficient in accomplishing His purposes. Doesn't it just astound you as it does me, that the Jews of Jesus' day did not understand what their forefathers knew - that the blessing of God upon them was for the salvation of the nations, the Gentiles? They were eager to recieve the Aaronic blessing, but had forgotten the Abrahamic blessing of Genesis 12:1-3, which reads in part, "...And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

So, for me, this Psalm is all about God's glory being made evident and seen in His people; God's grace being known and received among the Gentiles; God's blessing upon His people. By the way, did you look at v.6 and wonder how the earth (physical) yielding its produce could equate with us today - oops! that thought will have to wait, I just now lifted up my eyes, looked out the window and I'm tellin' ya - it looks like those fields are white for harvest! Gotta go!

Ok, there is so much more, but I am going to leave it at that for now! Looking forward to seeing you in the Comment Cafe!

11 comments:

DebbieS said...

Cathie,

You gave me so much more to think about. I thought I had understood the psalm quite well but I guess I had tunnel vision. I am finding it hard to think outside the box but you are slowly helping me to do this. I especially enjoyed your reminder about our "life being hidden with Christ in God." I know you have discussed this many times with us but sometimes I forget and after reading this, I once again need to get on my knees and thank Jesus for what He has done for us. I hope you will pursue your thoughts on vs6 re the earth's physical yielding versus our spiritual yielding. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track so don't want to express my thoughts but really want to know what others think about this.

Cathie said...

Debbie! This has never happened before, but I did pursue that last thought and posted it and it became lost in cyper-space, so now I have to do the whole thing over again! I'll get it out just as quick as I can remember it! Oh brother and help me Jesus!

Cathie said...

Hi Debbie! Honestly, this is like the 'bare bones', of what I wrote before, there might even be some things left out, but God certainly knows what He is about and so let's be trusting Him on this one sweetheart!

Probably the best place to begin, in understanding physical and spiritual yeilding of produce would be to look in Deuteronomy 27 and 28. Here we see the blessings being proclaimed over Israel from Mount Gerizim and the curses proclaimed over Israel from Mount Ebal - the short version of this is that if the people obeyed the law of God they would be physically blessed and if they disobeyed the law of God they would be physically cursed. So, the way that the people of Israel would know that they had the grace and favour of God, that He had caused 'His face to shine on them', was through their physical blessings.

Part of Israel's obedience to God was seen in the keeping of the temple sacrifices, these sacrifices and even the temple itself, pointed to a greater and final sacrifice, the crucifixion of Jesus, for the forgiveness of sins.

In this Psalm we can see that Israel understood that the blessings of God were not just for their own enjoyment, but that the blessings of God upon them had a purpose, being seen by the whole world, making known the way of God on the earth.

Notice in Psalm 67 that the 'physical' blessing of "the earth has yielded it's produce", points to a greater 'spiritual' blessing which was yet to come.

Remember our study of John 15 where Jesus tells us that He is the Vine, the Father the Vinedresser and that we are the branches? He lets us know that we are to be 'abiding' in Him for a reason. Not just so that we are closely connected to the Vine, but that we BEAR MUCH FRUIT by abiding in the Vine - yielding produce. This is not referring to saving others, only God can do that, it is referring to the fruit of the Spirit which manifests itself through the believer, that God's way may be known on the earth, His salvation among all nations!

Four references to 'earth' are made in Psalm 67. The first two speak of 'on the earth' in reference to God's way being made known and that He guides the nations 'on the earth'. The third makes reference to 'the earth yielding it's produce', speaking of the physical blessing of Israel, yet pointing to a greater truth.

In Matthew 13:18-43 we see the parable of the wheat and the tares, Jesus was pointing out that one day the 'earth will yield it's spiritual produce', and in John 4:35 Jesus warns us that we are not to be thinking about a long day off, but that we are to be lifting up our eyes and to look upon those blessed fields, because they are now 'white for harvest'. In other words, the day has come, through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus that the blessing of God is spiritually upon His people, THAT all the ends of the earth may know His way, His salvation among ALL nations that ALL the ends of the earth (that's the fourth reference to earth and it is NOT now talking about terra firma!)may fear Him.

I will just leave it at that and see where the discussion here in the Comment Cafe takes us.

Debbie, did you notice that in Matthew 13 that after Jesus spoke the parable, that He left the crowds and went into the house and His disiples followed Him and basically said, "Could you perhaps be about explaining that thing again, we really don't get it." And Jesus explained to them that parable in a way that they could never have imagined - and all because they were 'leaning in'. Debbie! That is you! You are leaning in, and let me tell you that your sisters are all the richer for it!

Don't have time to proof this, so like always, if I have made a mistake that is downright spiritually dangerous then let me know...otherwise, just grace me girls!

Angie said...

Cathie and Debbie,
We are absolutely the better for it!
I would like to tell you about one very special sister that is leaning in. I have her permission to tell you a little about her. Her name is Takako and she and I have finally figured out how to get her onto your blog. That it took so long is my fault (who knew that you had to be 100% accurate}. You girls in our Bible Study have
heard me speak of her and Takako knows about you. Takako has had a very difficult year with her health, but her walk with Her Lord has remained steadfast. Her faith is so strong and she inspires me! I visited with her today and we were so excited that she was able to connect with Cathie's blog. Thank you Debbie and all my friends that contribute as you are such a blessing to Takako. She is leaning in Cathie! I think there are many others as well!
WELCOME TAKAKO! Love, Angie

DebbieS said...

Welcome Takako!

It is such a pleasure for us that you have joined our group. Angie has said so many nice things about you that it is great to kind of meet you. I also thank you for sharing the unleavend bread with us. I will always remember that part of our lesson because of your thoughtfulness.

Your new friend
Debbie

DebbieS said...

Wow Cathie,

Thanks so much for all the information. I am so sorry you lost it the first time and feel quilty always asking for more from you but I really really appreciate it. After reading Deuteronomy 27 & 28 it kind of left me scared and reminded me how important it is to "fear" God. I think I understand what you are saying but need to ask if this is correct. You said Ps67 points to a greater spiritual blessing which is yet to come but for us that day has come . Can you say that the physical was the abundant yielding of the land and everything else that God gave His people to live well and our spiritual is the wonderful fulfillment in each of us of Jesusu's spirit? Am I on the right track or have I missed the boat?

Cathie said...

Hi Takako! And a warm welcome to you! It seems only right that you are gathering here with us, as you have just always seemed such a natural part of our group from the start. May your time with us be a blessing and a refreshment to your soul...and I hope that you are able to get in a good giggle every so often!

Cathie said...

Hey Debbie! You made me giggle when I read that you were feeling a little 'quilty' every time you asked me a question... I'm just so grateful that you are being inspired in such a way, but then I started thinking about it and realized that you feeling 'quilty' does not really surprise me at all, I mean, after all you have been 'spinning' for years!

And nope, you have not missed the boat at all, you got it! (Sigh)...now, if only I could learn to put it so simply.

Margaret said...

I believe this psalm is about looking ahead to when All people will praise God Gentiles as well as Jews by the cross references in the NASB. God will guide us and bring blessing on us if we acknowledge Him and give Him all the praise and glory.God says in Zechariah 8;12 I will cause the remnant of this people to inherit these things also some wonderful promises in Ezekiel 34:25-31.

Cathie said...

Excellent Margaret! This Psalm is indeed pointing to Ephesians 2:14-16, Jew and Gentile in one body, the church in Christ, and also to the further realization of Christ's rule and reign upon the earth. Wonderful!

Marnie said...

Welcome, welcome Takako!!! Mom was so excited when she came home and said the two of you were finally able to get connected here from your home computer!!! I love having you here...you are an important part of our group!
My love to you...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin