Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In Absolute Stitches...

Before we left on vacation I was in absolute stitches, trying to get some draperies completed! I had been searching for material over the past few months and had not seen any that I really liked - then one day I happened to glance at a 50% off table on my way out of a fabric store and there it was! I knew right away that it was what I was looking for, I immediately took out all my little paint chips to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me, and yep, everything seemed to just blend together beautifully.

So, home I went and out came the scissors and tape, the needle and thread!


One of my favorite parts about sewing draperies is the hand-stitching of the hems, no sound of a machine, just the quiet, simple, easy motion of needle and thread...

Early one evening, as I was hand-sewing, my husband had just finished cutting the lawns and the fresh fragrance of new cut grass came wafting in through the window. As the sky began to darken, it looked as if we might be in for a little bit of summer rain. So, in came the pillows from the garden chairs and the barbeque covered and put away, and not more than an hour later there was the most spectacular display of thunder and lightening that I have seen in quite a while. It was glorious!

And all the while, there I sat, quietly stitching to the sounds of the cracking of lightening, the roll of the thunder and the patter of heavy rain on the roof.

It's a lovely way to spend a few days... in absolute stitches.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin