Thursday, August 13, 2009

Summer in the Psalms - Week Eleven Gathering Place

Welcome to your Gathering Place girls - I can hardly believe that we only have one more week left before our Summer in the Psalms winds up... but more about that later!

As far as today's teaching goes - I am of the opinion that if you would just go in and listen to your sister's conversations in the Comment Cafe, you'll get all the teaching you need! This post will be short because you all have drank deep this week, and at this point, I am at risk of becoming redundant!

Throughout this Psalm 139 we are faced with the reality of God's Omniscience (all knowing), His Omnipresence and His Omnipotence (all powerful). This knowledge can be a great comfort or it can become a stumbling block to those that would prefer their deeds and thoughts to remain hidden. In v.1 David stated that God had already searched him and known him and yet in v.23 David asks God to search him and know his heart... do you know why he would have asked this?

One thing that I wanted to touch on is v. 19-22. Many times, this Psalm is quoted and these verses are left out because they seem harsh in the midst of the beauty of the surrounding verses. I am hoping that we can talk about this more in the Comment Cafe, but think about this... once you were an enemy of God, but now, in Christ you are His child. Have you ever thought, in the context of salvation, that if your enemies were to be 'slain' by God, that it could lead to 'newness' of life in Christ? I'm just sayin'!

Also, v.14 - sweetheart, your mind may not yet grasped how beautifully and wonderfully you have been made, you may be critical and hard on yourself... but listen, your "soul knows it very well"... take a few moments and know the reality of what God has whispered to your soul and written in His Word for you to know....

You are fearfully and wonderfully made
Gotta run, but I'll see you later in the Comment Cafe!
Friday afternoon POSTING ADDITION:
I would normally post this in the Comment Cafe, but thought that since I asked a question here in the post, and now that your responses are coming in, that perhaps I should answer it here for those that may not enter into the Cafe.
Angie, you took my question seriously and allowed God to guide you in your understanding of it and in your sharing of it with your sisters - well done!
The word 'try' in v. 23 is BACHAN in the original Hebrew. It is a primitive root, meaning that it cannot be confused with any other rendering. It means 'to test' (especially metals, think about the refiners fire in Scripture), to examine, prove, try (trial).
Angie, you were right to remember the tempting and testing of Jesus in the desert in relation to these verses.
In Matthew 4:1 we see that Jesus was LED BY THE SPIRIT INTO the desert to be tempted by the devil. In Luke 4:1 we see that Jesus was LED BY THE SPIRIT IN the wilderness. So we learn from this that Jesus was 'led into' AND 'led in' the desert by the Spirit - all for a specific purpose... to be tempted by the devil, but to be tested by God.
Although God tells us that David was a man after God's own heart, he was a man that was prone to temptation. We see this in David's adulterous sexual encounter with Bathsheba; in his successful plot to murder Bathsheba's husband; in the numbering of his mighty men. So, although David had the realization of God knowing him inside and out (v.1-6), in v. 23, we see the prayer of a man who trusted God alone to reveal the truth about what was truly in his heart.
We need to always remember, that it is God Who TESTS, however, it is Satan who TEMPTS (James 1:13-15). Why does God test?
Remember, that in Luke 4, it was AFTER Jesus had fasted 40 days and nights, when He was physically hungry, that the "tempter", Satan, came to Him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become BREAD."
Whenever we have a REAL physical need or a PERCEIVED physical need, we are in a 'position' that the enemy sees as an opening to attack. Remember also, that in James 1 we saw that we are 'tempted when we are carried away and enticed by our own lust...". To some degree, David knew this about himself; he knew, for instance, that when it came to Bathsheba, his own physical sexual urge, his own lust had carried him away from the moment that the enemy picked up on his lust and whispered the temptation to him (you want her, you can have her, you are the king).
However, with Jesus, His physical hunger being picked up on by the enemy, and the suggestion, the temptation being offered, instead, yielded to the Word of God - "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."
Why would God allow this temptation, of not only His people, but of Jesus Himself? We find our answer in Deuteronomy 8:2-10. Because the temptations that Satan plots to destroy us, God uses for four very specific purposes, - to humble us, to test us, to know what is in our hearts, and to prove whether or not we will keep His commandments.
In Psalm 139, David knew that God knew him, inside and out, but now he wanted even more... David desired God to put him to the test and to reveal what anxious thoughts would then arise because of that testing! It is one thing to say that we are trusting God when we are living in abundance, but when difficult times come, in whom, or in what, do we find we are really trusting? David desired to be led in the 'everlasting way', not to be led by his own lustful desires, baited by the enemy of his soul.
As you think upon these things, let me leave you with Hebrews 4:13-16...

"...there is no creature hidden from His sight,
but all things are open and laid bare
to the eyes of Him
with Whom we have to do.
Therefore, since we have a great High Priest
Who has passed through the heavens,
Jesus, the Son of God,
let us hold fast our confession.
For we do not have a high priest
who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses,
but One Who has been tempted
in all things
as we are,
yet without sin.
Therefore, let us draw near
with confidence
to the Throne of Grace,
so that we may receive mercy
and find grace to help
in our time of need.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Cathie,
I hope I am on the right path on this one as it spoke to my heart.

You asked the question "why would David ask God to search him and know his heart in vs:23 when in vs:1 he already knew it. David knew the sadness that comes with sinning against God. What is so clear in the Psalms is how deeply David loves his Lord. He was called "a man after My own heart" by God. I believe he wanted God to point out his sins so he could confess and repent of them so they would have no control over him. Isn't that what we ALL want when our hearts belong to HIM. Margaret is right that we do have an enemy but we also have "the weapon" to fight with... OUR GOD IS GREATER! What better way than to ask as David did and have OUR GOD lead us in the way everlasting!

Angie said...

Hi Cathie,
It's me again. I promise to sit down after this. This morning I re-read verses 23-24 and something jumped out at me. David asks God to test or try him and I wondered what he meant by that. That word reminded me of Jesus when he was tested for 40 days in the wilderness by the devil.

To me, David is using great wisdom in asking God point out to him any "thoughts" that might be sinful. I can so relate to that!
I enjoy thinking of it as asking God to do a pre-emptive strike in my mind! Cathie, you always say that each time you open the Bible something new and fresh is there and I saw [test me, try me}. David sounds confident and yet admits to being anxious.

Thanks for listening Cathie.

DebbieS said...

Hi everyone,

It is so sad to think we have only one more week together but one door closes and another will open for us. I have enjoyed this more than I could have ever imagined.

Cathie, I was very puzzeled by vs23-24 until I finally came up with the same conclusion as Angie but could never say it as well as she did. And Angie as much as I reread those two verses and saw the word test, I couldn't understand why that word was there but you have made it so clear to me. Thank you so much for being you!

DebbieS said...

Hi Margaret,

I just wanted to wish you a very belated birthday. I am so soory that I couldn't do it before today but you have been in my thoughts all week. I hope you had a wonderful and blessed day and look forward to seeing you soon.

Love Debbie

Cathie said...

Hi Girls! I've actually added my comment onto the original posting... but I just have to say here that I enjoy so much your insights. I can tell that the Summer in the Psalms has been a real blessing to you and that the 'nearness' of your sisters throughout these past few weeks has been encouraging and sustaining - and let's face it... just plain FUN! I have had a blast with all of you, giggled like crazy, cried with joy and gratitude and loved you more than ever before. I've said it before, but it does bear repeating - I am blessed to be counted among your number.

Now, let's finish strong! First thing Monday morning our new Psalm will be awaiting us and we will all join hands and complete this season together. Debbie is right -what has been poured into us this Summer in the Psalms has only prepared us for what lies ahead - we have only just begun!

Love you all like crazy!
Cathie OXO

Jan said...

Hi to all my sisters in Christ,
I have had such a busy week. When asked, I agreed to be the craft coordinator for VBS this year. Now, unlike some of you girls, I am not and never have been a "crafty girl" so this has been a huge challenge to me. I have been at MRBC everyday this week including all day today and will be there as well, getting ready, tomorrow. This year I feel God is asking me to "stretch out" in so many ways, Cathie's teaching, the study in John, blogging, and studying the Psalms, as well as stepping out to lead children in crafting. In all these areas I have felt over my head but God has always been right by my side so with His help I have been able to meet these challenges so I pray all will go well this coming week. Your prayers would be so appreciated. I was a bit familiar with Psalm 139 before this but I read it with new eyes [God had opened my blind eyes and allowed me to see things I did not understand before]. I especially love vs. 5; To really KNOW that I am completely enclosed by God all the time and that He always has His hand on me, that I am His and He is mine. There are no words that I can use to express this wonderful feeling. To read vs. 16 and know that my time on this earth is ordained by Him and that I do not need to fear death; when the time has come for me to leave earth and go to God will be the right time. I do not have to be fearful and concerned about it. Edna, I remember having a short discussion with you about this and now I have a much better understanding of the peace knowing this will bring to one's life.
Cathie, what is going to happen this fall? I sense we are not going on as before.
So sorry to be so wordy. Sometimes I am like the energizer bunny-I just go on and on and on.
Love to all of you. I miss you.

Cathie said...

Hi Jan! I think I can safely say, that what you perceive as being 'wordy', your sisters and I perceive as our BLESSING!

What a joy it is to hear all that the Lord has wrought in your heart and soul this past summer - I will definitely be praying for you this week and take great delight in doing so!

Jan, your question about what is happening this Fall is a question that your sisters have been raising as well. You will all find out at our Summer in the Psalms Wind-up... watch the blog for more details on the date and time and place!

Love you sweetheart, and thrilled to hear your 'voice' so full of the joy of your salvation!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin