Thursday, August 6, 2009

Summer in the Psalms - Week Ten Gathering Place

Welcome, once again, to your Gathering Place girls! I could tell from some of your responses, that perhaps more than any other week, this week has genuinely required of you - in the sense that the scope of your reading was not only lengthy, but also deep and far reaching in it's content as well. However, because the sole intent of this particular exercise was to simply set our heart's upon pilgrimage, allowing these psalms to draw us ever closer to our God, discipline was also required of you, as you were not to take it any farther than to just drink of God's Word and to not try and over 'think' it.

Although there have been many books and studies written, regarding these particular psalms, and commentaries will give you even more information regarding them, I am encouraged to know that you have allowed God alone to guide you through His Word and minister to you as you yourself were placed by Him upon the pilgrim's path.

The title, 'Songs of Ascents', is a Hebrew title given to Psalms 120-134, it looks like this in Hebrew שיר המעלות, and it's transliteration is 'Shir Hama'aloth‎'. Over the centuries these 15 psalms have come to be known as 'The Gradual Psalms', 'The Songs of Degrees', 'The Songs of Steps' or 'The Pilgrim Songs'. I came across this picture on the right, which shows the Songs of Ascents written in Hebrew right into the walls at the entrance to the City of David in Jerusalem.

You probably noted in your reading that although we do not know for sure who wrote all of these psalms, four of them are clearly psalms written by David (122, 124, 131 and 133), and one (127) was written by David's son Solomon. If you look closely at 127, and if you have every studied the books of Samuel and Chronicles, you will undoubtedly see the significance of Solomon's words, "Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it;".

During the reign of his father David, it was in the heart of David to build a house for the Lord, but because David was a man of war the Lord chose his son Solomon to build the house (1 Kings 5:1-5, 2 Chronicles 6:7-10). Similarly, knowing the life of David will intensify his words in Psalm 133, "Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity!" David had known the love of Jonathan (1 Samuel 18:1-4), yet David's life was characterized by anything but unity. The first king of Israel, Saul, sought David to take his life; David's own sons were against each other, leading to the murder of one of them by the hand of his brother; one son schemed to kill David himself; one son raped his sister, David's house seemed to be a house divided and anything but unity seemed to reign. So his words in this psalm are deeply meaningful. David understood that the unity of God's people was pleasing to God, it sets them apart from the other nations, consecrating them as the oil that ran down the beard of Aaron the priest - this reminded me of our study in the book of John, where we learned, through the High Priestly prayer of Jesus, that His desire for us is that "(we) be one, just as We (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit) are one;"

These psalms are significant in that they are songs of worship, sung by pilgrims as they made their ascent (way up) to Jerusalem to attend the three annual festivals - the Festival of Passover, the Festival of Pentecost and the Festival of Tabernacles. In her time, Hannah, the mother of Samuel, would have been counted among the number of these pilgrims (1 Samuel 1) who sang these Songs of Ascents as she made her way up to Jerusalem. In Luke 2:41-42 we see Jesus Himself, a pilgrim of 12 years of age, going up to Jerusalem for the Festival of Passover; He would also have been singing the Songs of Ascent, the Hallel, just as you yourself did this week.

Think upon Jesus, singing, along with his parents and the others on the pilgrimage path Psalm 121... "I will lift My eyes up to the mountains; from where shall my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip..." I cried as I read this, knowing that as Jesus sung this pilgrimage psalm, on His first journey to Jerusalem for the feast - that ahead of Him yet lay His wilderness temptations (Matthew 4:1-11), the persecution from His own (John 1:11) - yet lay ahead of Him Gethsemane, where His soul would be "deeply grieved to the point of death" (Matthew 26:38) - and yet lay ahead of Him the agony of the cross, the separation from the Father (Matthew 27:46).

He Himself was the "Maker of heaven and earth" (Psalm 121:2; John 1:1-3), yet He positioned Himself in submission to the Father and lifted His eyes to Him and Him alone - that I might today, on this side of the cross, claim these words as He Himself did, knowing that all has been accomplished through the pilgrimage of Jesus that ultimately took Him to the cross, for the forgiveness of my sins. These Songs of Ascent speak to me this... "STEP UP! STEP UP!" I do not know what yet lays ahead of me on this pilgrims path, but as I look up, keeping my eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of my faith, He beckons me on.... "STEP UP! STEP UP!

The Songs of Ascents are also significant because they were also sung by the priests as they ascended the fifteen steps in the temple in Jerusalem, to minister to the people. And once again I hear, "STEP UP! STEP UP!"

Psalm 126 was also meaningful to me, as I saw that it was written upon the return of God's chosen people, from the Babylonian exile, back to Jerusalem. It describes their emotions upon their entering in... it was like a dream, mouths were filled with laughter, their tongues becoming the instruments of joyful shouting, "the LORD has done great things, we are glad". This took me back to the time of my own initial salvation, when God Himself delivered me out of the captivity of death and darkness and into Life and marvelous Light... and I sang this particular Song of Ascent as praise to my God.

Psalm 122 reminds me of the importance of praying for the peace of Jerusalem. Not human, wordly, governmental peace, but God's peace, for "Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman keeps awake in vain." (Psalm 127:1) An ordinance has been given to Jerusalem, that thanks is to be given "to the Name of the LORD." We can pray for God's peace (shalom, meaning 'whole, complete, nothing broken, nothing missing') to be upon and within Jerusalem.

This week has been deeply meaningful to me, God has ministered to my thirsting soul and given me refreshment through His Word. And although each held meaning for me, it was Psalm 130 that was continually upon my heart, my memory verse being v.5-6...

"I wait for the LORD,
my soul does wait,
and in His Word do I hope.
My soul waits for the LORD
more than the watchmen for the morning;
indeed, more than the watchmen for the morning."

Now girls,
may the God of hope
fill you with all joy
and peace
in believing,
so that you will abound in hope
by the power of the Holy Spirit...
Romans 15:13

I missed seeing you in the Comment Cafe last week at our Gathering Place, so I am really looking forward to seeing you there this time!
Until then,
love you like crazy!
Your sister-mama,


10 comments:

DebbieS said...

Hi everyone,I am writing from Skidegate. We are truly having a wonderful time enjoying all the lovely nature has provided for us. He is so amazing and we just keeping looking in awe. I really did enjoy this week after I settled down. My favorite was 122 but what stood out the most for most was Ps. 127 vs 1. That is so meaningful to mean and a reminder that my life should be all about my journey with God. Several quotes stood out for me too: PS 121 and 124 said "My help comes from the Lord" and ps 130 & 131 "O Israel put your hope in the Lord" The last thing that came to mind was how even though these were written so long ago they are still so relevant to today's world .

Cathie said...

Hi Debbie! Where on this green earth is Skidegate? I hope that you are taking pictures...better yet - e-mail me a few and I will post them on the blog! Instead of playing "Where's Waldo?" we can all play "Where's Debbie?"

I am so glad that you enjoyed this week, it seems that many of the verses have made an impact on you... there is no greater truth lived out in the reality of our everyday lives than what you have been thinking upon this week, that "My help comes from the LORD". It is this realization that inititally brings us to salvation and ultimately carries us through our walk of faith.

Looking forward to hearing more from you in the days ahead Debbie!

Sandi said...

Love your blog and will be back often.
Blessings~

Jan said...

Hi to all my sisters,
A warm welcome back to you, Cathie. Even though you were miles away I kept reading all the older comments throughout the blog so did not feel so separated. It is interesting how I enjoy going back over comments I have read before and continue to find newness there. I too thought it must have been a typo when I read the Psalms for this week but after some study I could understand why the "Psalms of Ascent" needed to be read together to be understood. The whole of Psalm 121 was so meaningful to me especially "He who keeps you will not slumber." I have spoken about fear issues before and this Psalm reassures me that I need not fear because the Lord watches over me all the time, He doesn't take breaks, He is my "keeper", He will protect me and guard me "from this time forth and forever" What joy and perfect peace!!! Thank you Lord!
I also found great meaning in Ps 125:1 I will not be moved from my Lord!!
Recently I have again felt troubled in my heart over things that happened in my church this winter. Ps 133:1 talks of brothers[and sisters!]dwelling together in unity. Cathie, you wrote of all the disunity [is there such a word] in David's family. How to become unified, being of like minds and hearts, when you are not? This is still a painful issue for me.

Cathie said...

Hi Sandi, welcome! It's good to have you gathering with us. Looking forward to your visits and fellowship!

Cathie said...

Hi Jan! It gives great joy to this sister's heart to know that you have gleaned so much from these psalms this past week, and that God Himself has been ministering, through them, to you, at your greatest point of need.

Sweetheart, the best thing that I know to say to you is this... love.

There are many passages of scripture, throughout the Bible, that speak to the very subject that so distresses your heart, but perhaps Colossians 3:1-14 would be a good place to start.

v. 14 says that... "beyond all these things put on LOVE, which is the perfect bond (the uniting bond of perfection) of unity. "

v. 15 shows where the unity of believers is found, it is "in the Body of Christ". John 17:20-23 is also another example of this.

We are not always going to agree, each one of us having personal preferences, likes and dislikes (among other things!). However, the UNITY of believers will always and only be be found in Christ, and in His Word.

We don't always get it right - 1 John 1:9-10 shows us this clearly, and God has made provision for us in this.

I would tell you to stay in His Word sweetheart, know Him and His heart towards you, let the love of Christ dwell richly within you and live out your faith, as I know you are doing. God surely causes "all things" to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

I pray that your heart is encouraged.

DebbieS said...

Hi girls,

We are now at Port Clements and the most amazing thing happened to us. We went down to the little dock to look at the boats and something very wonderful happened to us. Tied up was a beautiful large boat that we were admiring and a gentleman came off to speak to us and this boat is a Cristian boat that goes to all the remote places.Many of these people have very little human contact in their lives. The Christians befriend them and try to see them each year and have brought many people to Christ. They invitied on board and we had a loevely discussion. It turns out that their son-in-law is a pastor at the church here and they have been invitied to speak today. We were trying to find a church to go to today and now we are so excited about going. The name of the organization is called Coastal Missions.ca and the name of the boat is Coastal
Messenger. I was so excited that God led us to them that I couldn`t get to sleep last night. I know this was no accident and the ord is helping us on our journey.
PS. Cathie, I can`t send you any pictures - it is too complicated for me.

Cathie said...

Hi Debbie! Don't worry about the pictures, just enjoy the blessings and adventures of God!

Margaret said...

Thankyou Cathie and all my sisters in Christ for your birthday wishes, the picture of the cake looks wonderful!
My brother in law held a family barbecue yesterday and it happened to fall on my birthday! there are 5 birthdays in August in our family and each one was there so that was nice.
I am so being blessed by our time in the Psalms, looking forward to when we will be meeting again.

Edna said...

Hi girls......I am back for a day or two then we are gone again. I, like Jan enjoy reading and re-reading past and current comments. Since I have been limited to computor access when away, it keeps me connected with everyone when I do get the chance to sign in.
I read through the Psalms (a few times) Ps 121 and 126 certainly spoke to me.
Ps 121 v3,5,7,&8 re-assures me once again He is my keeper, He guards me, He protects me from evil. There is NEVER a reason to fear. Ps 126 ...wow...laughter and joyful shouting...for all the great things He has done(for me). Thankfulness and joy fills my heart.
So, sisters my thoughts are with each of you and I will be missing the next two weeks of the Cafe Gathering....but I will return.....love to you all....thanks Angie for getting me onto this easy way of leaving a comment...no more struggles for me....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin