Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday Musings....


Just have a few moments, but thought I would share with the (soul) purpose of encouraging! Recently, as I was looking through my bookshelf, I came across the Oswald Chambers devotional "My Utmost For His Highest", as I began glancing through the pages, I came upon this...

"We hear it said that a man will suffer in this life if he does not pray; I question it. What will suffer is the Life of the Son of God in him, which is nourished not by food, but by prayer. When a man is born from above, the life of the Son of God is born in him, and he can either starve that life or nourish it. Prayer is the way the life of God is nourished.... (prayer) is the only way he can get into touch with Reality.... as long as you are self-sufficient, you do not need to ask God for anything.... it is not so true that prayer changes things as that prayer changes me...."

Although the above excerpt is only in part (as I was simply writing down notes of those particular passages that had begun to resonate within my own heart) I think it gives you a good idea of where this particular devotional was focusing. It made me think about my own prayer life and how much I enjoy the intimacy with God that is magnified in prayer - it is an intimacy that nourishes and sustains the life of God within me.
Many times, I have learned the hard way that self-sufficiency is a sworn enemy to this kind of intimacy with God, causing me to pray, 'Oh, that I may truly be like a little child before You always - mature and maturing in my faith YES!, but child-like in my dependence upon You for all things - ALWAYS!

During this particular quiet time, I was also reading in Philippians 3 and 4 and as I began to read, found this....

"....we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh."

Listed here are three very specific attributes of those who belong to God - they worship in the Spirit of God, they glory in Christ Jesus and they put no confidence in the flesh. Although each made an impact upon my heart, it was the last that brought with it the conviction that this is a temptation that will arise time and time again!

As I read further on in these two chapters it was a time of being refreshed in Truth - there is a quick recovery for those of us who have slipped into the path of self-sufficiency - it is to confess and turn from it YES, but then it is to set our minds, not upon earthly things, but upon the things of God, and for heaven's sake, take up the birthright of our position in Christ and begin to rejoice in Him, now and for always!
Now THIS is Living! Do I always get it right? Nope. But let us be about encouraging one another in our common faith - to be dependant upon God, mature and maturing in our faith, setting our minds upon the things of God - so that in each and every earthly situation God is invited in and thus magnified, resulting in the rejoicing of our souls, always!

Just a few musings on this lovely Monday afternoon -

(BTW, if you are wondering what evening the girls are talking about in the Comments below, you can find out all about it HERE!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful evening, ladies!!!What a beautiful garden/home Linda!!
Dear Father God, please be with Cathie tomorrow morning in the dentist's chair! Protect her from the mercury and other toxins associated with dental work. Please let her have no reactions to these procedures and bless her with strong, good health, in Jesus precious name.......amen! love, wendyL

Angie said...

I just read your beautiful prayer Wendy and need only to repeat your words and add my own AMEN!

Thank you Linda for inviting us into your beautiful home and garden. I saw it in the newspaper when you won the award, and now had the privilege of seeing it up close and in person. God has given your husband a gift and passion for creating a place of such beauty, "a little garden of eden".

Thank you Cathie for putting it all together for us! It was such a memorable evening, being together with precious friends!

Margaret said...

I just opened your blog Cathie and read what you had written yesterday, thankyou so much for sharing your insights into God's Word with us. I read that little devotional book every day and it often gives me a lot to think and pray about.
I pray the dentist visit went smoothly and that you are back home and doing well.
Thankyou Linda for hosting our get together, such a beautiful garden and such a priveledge to meet you and Bob.
Margaret

BabaLinda said...

It was a joy having all of you sisters in our garden last night. You kept me awake most of the night thinking of you all afterwards. The garden may be beautiful but your presence adorned it with greater beauty. I felt so blessed by God and richer for having met you all.

Edna H said...

Hey Sisters, How wonderful it was to see everyone again...meeting new friends, shareing together, chating and laughing as we enjoyed our beautiful surroundings. The setting could only be discribed as a "secret garden" and was literally "out of a magazine"!!!! I am still amazed at the collection of so many varieties of plants, shrubs, garden art, pathways to nooks, crannies and hide-a-ways. And of course the delightful little cottage. I am very blessed to have been a part of such a special evening. Thank you Linda & Bob for sharing yourselves and your home.
To Cathie and all my sisters in Christ...The Lord has blessed me through knowing you. I look forward to spending more time together as we
embark on our journey in Psalm 119.

Edna H said...

Wendy....Pat enjoyed your chili today for lunch and said..."Wow... is that good chili." and thanks you..

Edna said...

Cathie.........keeping you in my prayers, may your body get stronger with each passing day and my our Lord continue to hold you gently in His hands,
love...E

Cathie said...

Well, if ever a girl felt loved by her sisters it would be me. Wendy, I saw your sweet prayer to our Father, prayed on my behalf, last night just before I went to bed, thank you! I fell asleep thanking Him for each and every one of you.

All went very well and my next appointment has been moved up to Sept. 11 and then all will be done!

I had such a lovely time last night and just enjoyed watching you all... Linda, you can tell by the girls responses that they were BLESSED! Thank you sweetheart for opening your home so graciously to us.

Well, it is time for me to close up for the day - had a little trouble with the downloading of the video from last night and have spent hours and numerous phone calls trying to figure out the problem... the Lord has heard my plea for help and I'm awaiting His answer eagerly!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin